If you want to get a better security guard job then consider what most security guard hiring manager are looking for. Here are their top concerns:
1) Be well dressed: it goes without saying the being an officer is a highly visible profession. Many times you literally are the first and last person clients and employees see. As such, it's important that you are always dresed nicely. Men should wear suits and their shirts should be pressed. Women should also dress conservatively and look professional. Men should shave, of course, and if you have tatoos or piercings consider hiding them with clothing.
2) Be polite: again, this may seem obvious but many people fail to forget that security, in general, is a customer service field. Greeting people kindly, offering to help get doors, and just smiling and having an overall good disposition goes a long with with hiring managers.
3) Listen: only answer questions that are asked of you. It goes back to the importance of being polite. Let the person conducting the interview take the lead. Answer directly, simply. Try not to get into long-winded explanations. Keep in mind that those who are meeting with you have one goal and that is to determine how you are going to interact with their clients.
4) Have some security experience. If you need to get some experience there are many companies and types of jobs that can help you in this regard. Security Los Angeles is a blog that our company comes out with which lists various tyeps of jobs and discusses industry issues, especially in the LA area.
5) Be persistant; just because you did not land the job does mean you will not eventually get hired.